Reinvented for a New Era
When Manufacturers Hanover Trust Company opened its Manhattan branch at 510 Fifth Avenue in 1954, the building’s award-winning design ushered in a bold new era of bank architecture. SOM dematerialized the bank’s walls with transparent glass facades, cantilevered floors, luminous ceilings, and a street-level vault. These elements symbolically opened a cloistered world more commonly housed behind masonry walls.
The same bank branch was revisited by SOM a half-century later, renovating and adapting it for retail use. Drawing on archival research and guided by the original design intentions, the contemporary architects preserved or restored primary components including the facade, Bertoia-designed screen, marble columns, and vault door. Learn more